New Delhi sources have stated that the cheer that goods and service tax has brought to the automotive market has diminished, with concerns mounting over the risk of states raising road tax to offset revenue loss and was added that Maharashtra has already decided to increase the levy on vehicles by 2% to compensate for the absence of octroi, a state tax which has now been merged with GST.
Currently the automakers have cut prices from July 1 to pass on lower tax incidence under GST to buyers. They expected this to drive wholesale numbers in a traditionally lean July, with inventory at dealerships also running low and the increase in road tax, which is outside GST and set by states, now stands to dampen the prospects.
Sugato Sen deputy director general at industry body society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers that “industry executives had feared as much, and had demanded the central government to subsume road tax in the overarching GST framework. “In the past too, every time the central government lowered excise duty, state governments increased road tax negating the benefit. That is why we had urged the government to subsume road tax in GST”.
Cess on Automobiles, Rubber been abolished New Delhi sources have stated that to ensure smooth roll out of Goods and Service Tax, the Central Government has abolished cesses on goods and services included in the last three General Budgets viz 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18, and starting from July 1, 2017 with GST in place the government will also abolish cess on automobiles. Through Taxation Laws Amendment Act 2017, The Industries (Development and Regulation) Act 1951 Cess on Automobile will no longer be applicable.
- Road tax increased for automobile industry
- EESL soon floats another global tender for 10,000 electric vehicles
- American car maker GM winds up its domestic sales
- TVS Motor Company's growth for 2017-18 is up by 10.6%
- Escenda Engineering gets 100% subsidiary of Tata Technologies Europe under the new ownership
- Around 80% Indians buys fake helmets as they go for cheaper ones
- Skoda Kodiaq equipped with AEB system that detects pedestrians
- AIIMS diesel ambulances will be fitted with GPS: Bench
- Can you identify these cars with their logos?
- Luxury cars will get dearer by Rs 1.25-5 lakh
- Second shift operations at Suzuki's Gujarat plant to provide extra units to Maruti Suzuki India
- Honda Company targeting some Huge exports
- Will this Union Budget 2018 beneficiary for luxury car makers?
- Maruti is confident in adding more volumes in next 12 to 18 months
- Auto scrapping plants save India forex?