Chennai sources have stated that Tamilnadu’s firecracker manufacturing cluster around Sivakasi in Virudhunagar district has threatened to stop manufacturing by June-end in protest against the levy of a flat 28 % goods and services tax on fireworks. Meanwhile the industry, particularly small manufacturers, fears the tax reform will decimate the business even as Indian firecracker makers face competition from Chinese manufacturers.
According to sources the cluster, estimated to generate total revenue of about Rs 2,000 crore, has 821 units, some of which are cottage factories operating out of small rooms. Till now, these manufacturers have been paying a value-added tax of 14.5% but enjoy exemption from central excise tax of 12.5%, as their annual turnover would typically be below Rs 1.5 crore.
Moreover the GST flattens this tax structure and brings the tiny
units on par with large brands like Standard Fireworks and others.
This is expected to result in a 50% increase in price of the final product,
enough to dampen sales in the future, fear manufacturers.
Indian Sikh man's turban ripped by white man outside UK Parliament According to report from London according to a media report, Ravneet Singh, 37, who is from Punjab, was waiting to enter the Portcullis House, part of the British Parliamentary Estate, to meet Sikh Labor MP Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi when the assault took place. Meanwhile Singh said he was waiting in the queue when the man, who was shouting "Muslim go back", approached him and tried to remove his turban, a religious headgear.
- India moves to cancel Nirav Modi's passport
- South Korea says visit of North Korea's General builds North-South relations
- Wipro's next project on a 40 acre land in Telangana
- Aircel isn't closed yet, don't believe rumors!!
- A land of controversies and scandals: Is North Korea a danger zone?
- Your Privacy is in danger, as your love could end in porn sites!!
- Want to Join with Kamal? Visit this website and become a Member
- Kamal explains meaning for his party symbol
- 24 year girl asked to leave an Emirates flight complaining about period pain to her boyfriend
- Nasa existing suits have diapers called maximum absorbency garments
- Donald Trump: 20% of school's teachers be trained to carry concealed weapons
- Astronomers detected black holes ever discovered in the universe
- Preity Zinta filed a case of molestation against Ness Wadia
- Twitter announced new set of guidelines from posting mass tweets
- PyeongChang Winter Olympics slated between February 9-25