Amavasya and Purnima correspond to the two extreme states of the waxing waning cycle of the moon. While amavasya is called no moon day or new moon day, Purnima is called full moon day. Moon being the natural satellite of earth and being seen in sky graciously shining over the earth, it has always evoked the imagination and praise of people and it is rendered more interesting due to the waxing and waning cycle making it grow and diminish in size over the lunar month.
The moon goes around the earth once in every 29.5 days. The moon cannot glow on its own and it just reflects the sun rays falling on it. During its various positions around the earth, it is exposed to varying amount of sun rays as the earth occurs in between. Therefore moon appears to grow and reduce in its size.
the earth completely blocks the moon from the sun, it is Amavasya and when the
moon is completely exposed to the sun, it is Purnima. Purnima is considered as
a highly auspicious in Hindu tradition when the positive forces and divine
energy rules over the earth. The birth anniversaries of some great souls are
celebrated on Purnima including Vyas Purnima and Buddha Purnima. Fasting and visiting Shiva or Vishnu temples
on Purnima is considered auspicious.
Hindus follows special fasting days of the week It is observed for the Lord Sun or Surya. Red is the color of this day. It is believed that this fast helps you in fulfilling desires. People suffering from skin diseases also observe this fast to get rid of it. Extra importance is given to cleanliness of the body and surroundings. Red flowers are offered for prayers and red colored sandalwood tilak is applied on the forehead.
- Temple is a place filled with Positive Vibrations
- Tirumala Information : 14.02.2018
- Goddess Lakshmi in many avatars
- Tirumala information : 13.02.2013
- Hinduism is diverse religion across globe
- Chandra Darshan is a rare scenario, more beneficial
- Do you visit temple on a regular basis?
- Doing Pooja at home is a must
- Auspicious Tamil Month Thai is full of festivals
- Tamil New Year marks special year for Tamilians
- Reasons that Supreme God is a reality
- Tulsi plant is considered sacred in Hinduism
- 'Gayatri Mantra' reciting every morning develops our personality
- Todays Tirumala samacharam : 22.01.2018
- Women should posses these characteristics as per Hinduism