Hindus celebrate Janmashtami by fasting, worshiping Krishna and staying up until midnight, and offer prayers at special time, when Krishna is believed to have been born. Images of Krishna's infancy are placed in swings and cradles in temples and homes. At midnight, devotees gather around for devotional songs, dance and exchange gifts.
Gokulashtami or Gokula Ashtami (Janmashtami or Sri Krishna Jayanti) celebrates the birthday of Lord Sri Krishna. Gokulashtami is celebrated with great fervor in South India. In Tamilnadu the people decorate the floor with kolams (decorative pattern drawn with rice batter). Geetha Govindam and other such devotional songs are sung in praise of Lord Krishna. Then they draw the footprints of Lord Krishna from the threshold of the house till the pooja room, which depicts the arrival of Lord Krishna into the house.
Pradesh state Recitation of slokas and devotional songs are the characteristics
of this festival. Popular south Indian temples dedicated for Krishna are
Rajagopalaswami Temple in Mannargudi in the Thiruvarur district, Bala Krishna
temple at Udupi, Pandavadhoothar temple in Kanchivaram and Krishna temple at
Guruvayur are dedicated to the memory of Vishnu's incarnation as Sri Krishna.
Do you about this Famous Brihadeeshwara Temple? Thanjavur Brihadeeswara temple is one of the most ancient temples, situated in the city of Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu, India. Thanjavur named after the legendary asura "Tanjan", is one of the ancient temples in India. In ancient days, Thanjavur known as “The rice bowl of Tamilnadu,” was an important city to the ancient Cholas.
- Hindus follows special fasting days of the week
- Temple is a place filled with Positive Vibrations
- Tirumala Information : 14.02.2018
- Goddess Lakshmi in many avatars
- Tirumala information : 13.02.2013
- Hinduism is diverse religion across globe
- Chandra Darshan is a rare scenario, more beneficial
- Do you visit temple on a regular basis?
- Doing Pooja at home is a must
- Auspicious Tamil Month Thai is full of festivals
- Tamil New Year marks special year for Tamilians
- Reasons that Supreme God is a reality
- Tulsi plant is considered sacred in Hinduism
- 'Gayatri Mantra' reciting every morning develops our personality
- Todays Tirumala samacharam : 22.01.2018