Karthigai Deepam festival is celebrated mainly in Tamilnadu, on Poornima (full moon day) of the Tamizh month Karthigai (mid-November to mid-December) as per Tamil calendar. This tradition can be roughly described as Diwali of the South India, observed as Festival of Lights in every home and every temple.
India is a country of varied culture and traditions. The variety of food, culture, festivals and language make it different from other countries. Karthigai Deepam is a typical festival of lights of the southern part of India and is an extension of Deepavali festival. It is very similar to Bhai Duj or Raksha Bandhan celebrated in other parts of the country. The ideology of the festival is that "the sisters pray for their brothers' well being and the brothers in turn, promise to safeguard the sisters in times of trouble. This festival also involves the lighting of lamps in the homes, temples and the workplace.
Karthigai Deepam is a fantastic festival of Tamil
Nadu which the Tamils never want to miss out. They wait a year around to enjoy
during this time. They have the mouth watering food in homes and go out to see
the decorations in the streets and the homes of the relatives.
Science behind wearing Mangalsutra As per Hindu Dharma, Mangalsutra is an ornament of a woman denoting her marital status. Each person makes a Mangalsutra for the bride as per his capacity. If it is not possible to make a Mangalsutra with a cord of gold or silver, they make it by stringing black beads in a thread. In the center of the Mangalsutra there are two cups. The cups should be round and there should be no design on its front. This structure is associated with the Energy of Knowledge.
- Story about broken tusk of Ganesha
- Worshiping Hindu God's Day wise is special
- Lesser known facts about Goddess Saraswathi
- How to Meditate: Simple Meditation for Beginners
- Is Shani God your Friend or Foe?
- Do you know about auspicious Tamil Month Karthigai?
- Krishna Janmashtami special Importance
- How to lead a Better than, than Bitter life?
- Aippasi, Tamil month full of Festivals and Weddings
- What are Amavasya and Purnima?
- Should we be Spiritual in these days?
- All you need to know about Tirupati Temple
- All you need to know about Krishna Janmashtami
- What are all the rituals done during Kanda Sashti?
- Naga Chaturthi - The Festival Story and why is it celebrated?